subsidies 5-star meal


written by Shreya at in category Food with 0 Comments


Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth-Abraham Lincoln

Government was made to take care of the people and not to rule the people. The worse part about our country is that the poor is getting poorer the rich is getting richer. The politicians of our country have become the money eating beast. The poor farmers are dying due to the negligence of our eminent leaders. They have no source for two square meal a day. They work hard whole there life and die in suffering.

A subsidy is defined as a financial aid or support extended to an economic sector (or institution, business, or individual) generally with the aim of promoting economic and social policy.  How is our parliament in a need of any financial support? Why are they in need of subsidy at such rate? Subsidy at the rate of 950% or 350% or 650%! Aren’t they already having the lavishness?

The parliament is made to discuss the problem of our people but rather it has become the 5 star lavish restaurant where MPs EX MPs their family come for breakfast lunch dinner.

Since the rates are far less than even the cost of raw materials, the Government has to subsidize the canteens. The amount of subsidy is on the rise for the last 5 years. The Net sales are substantially lower the total cost and account for hardly 20% of the total cost. The Government provides the remaining 80% subsidy for running these canteens. In 2013-14, the total cost of running these canteens is 17.71 crore rupees while the net sales were just 3.56 crore rupees. The amount of subsidy is on the rise with each passing year. In 2013-14, the government had to provide a subsidy of more than 14 crore rupees. This information came to light through a reply sent to Mr. Subhash Chandra Agrawal in response to his RTI application.

Our honorable prime minster has asked us to give up our gas subsidy but why haven’t they asked the parliament canteen to give up their subsidy. The benefits of that subsidy will defiantly are more than the people giving up their subsidy.

Why everything has to begin form us? Where is the contribution of our politicians in the making of our country?

Below contents Source: Web

There is a lot of hue & cry after it was revealed that parliament canteens that provide food facilities to Members of Parliaments are subsidized to the extent of 80%. The rates of food items offered in these canteens are substantially lower than the market price. Hence the government has to pitch in with the subsidy amount. The Joint Committee of Parliament that is authorized to revise these rates met 15 times between 2009 and 2014 and revised the rates only once.

There was much dismay in the common public after learning that the Government provides more than 10 crore rupees as subsidy for running the Parliament House Canteens (PHC). The current rates in the PHC are less than 50% of the market price. The PHC caters to MPs, former MPs, Media, family members & guests of MPs etc.  After much public outcry, the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, Mr Venkaiah Naidu promised to look into the issue of subsidies, but said that it is not in the Government’s hand since it is the ‘Joint Committee on Food Management in Parliament House Complex’  that  is authorized to look into this issue and decide on rates. But what did this committee do in the last five years from 2009 to 2014?

What are the Current rates?

The rates of food items and eatables were revised thrice since 2002. The last revision was in 2010. Even after this latest round of revision, the rates offered way less than the market price or even the cost price of such an item. For instance, Puri with Vegetable is offered at 2 rupees while the raw material cost itself is more than 18 rupees.

indian parliament canteen price list - 1
indian parliament canteen price list - 2
indian parliament canteen price list - 3
indian parliament canteen price list - 4

The Committee on Food Management in Parliament House Complex

The Joint Committee on Food Management in Parliament House Complex consists of 15 members, 10 from Lok Sabha and 5 from Rajya Sabha. They committee has the following terms of reference

  • To consider the revision of rates of eatables served at Railway Catering Units located in Parliament House Complex
  • To consider the level of subsidy to be given for running Railway Catering Units in Parliament House Complex
  • To consider provision of excellent canteen services to members
  • To consider other related issues.

The Committee is in office for a period of one year. In the 15th Lok Sabha, from 2009-2014 the same committee continued after their term was extended each year. The committee was chaired by JD(U) MP, Ranjan Prasad Yadav. Other prominent MPs in this committee were H.D. Kumara Swamy of the JD(S), Yashodhara Raje Scindia of the BJP, Ravneet Singh of the Congress, Kanimozhi of the DMK, D Raja of the CPI and Rajiv Pratap Rudy of the BJP.

How many times did the committee meet and what was discussed?

As per the data available on the Parliament website, this committee met 15 times during the 15th Lok Sabha and discussed various issues. In only one meeting in 2010, they discussed the issue of rate revision and decided to increase the rates by 50% and round it off. In all other meetings, the subjects discussed ranged from facilities in canteens to improving south Indian food to inspections to subsidies.

Sl.No Date of Sitting (Duration) Number of Members Present Subjects Discussed
1 November, 2009 (45 mins) 7 Introductory Meeting
2 January, 2010 (50 mins) 6 Working of catering units in PH Complex
3 April, 2010 (60 mins) 8 Revision of rates of eatable served in PH Complex
4 January, 2011(60 mins) 6 Examination of the working of Tea Board/ Coffee Board units operating in Parliament House Complex
5 April, 2011 (60 mins) 5 Discussion of the recommendations made by the Chairman of the Committee during his surprise inspection of all the Catering Units working in PH Complex
6 July, 2011 (60 mins) 6 • Introduction of Mother Dairy Ice-creams at all the Northern Railway Catering Unit of Parliament House Complex• Day-wise menu of snacks available in all the NRCU of Parliament House Complex.• Fixation of quantity of food items being served at the Northern Railway Catering of PHC.• Exploring the feasibility of shifting of kitchen of PHC to PLB and serving of packed food in Parliament House prepared in PLB Canteen
7 September, 2011 (60 mins) 5 • Catering service in Parliament House Canteen• Exploring the feasibility of shifting of kitchen of PHC to PLB and serving of packed food in Parliament House prepared in PLB Canteen
8 September, 2011 (60 mins) 7 • Catering service in Parliament House Canteen• Exploring the feasibility of shifting of kitchen of PHC to PLB and serving of packed food in Parliament House prepared in PLB Canteen
9 October, 2011 (60 mins) 6 • Catering service in Parliament House Canteen• Exploring the feasibility of shifting of kitchen of PHC to PLB and serving of packed food in Parliament House prepared in PLB Canteen
10 February, 2011 (60 mins) 7 Exploring the feasibility of shifting of kitchen of PHC to PLB and serving of packed food in Parliament House prepared in PLB Canteen
11 February, 2011 (60 mins) 7 • Inspection of Railway Canteens by the team of Confederation of India Industry.• Subsidy to Northern Railway for maintaining the catering unit.• Provision of the PNG connection in all catering unit of Parliament House Complex.• Staff matter of Northern Railway Catering Unit of Parliament House Complex.
12 July, 2012 (60 mins) 6 • Progress regarding shifting of washing area of Parliament House Canteen to Plot No. 118, PH.• Provision of PNG connection for Parliament House Canteen in place of LPG cylinders.
13 September, 2012 (30 mins) 7 • Bringing improvement in the food items specially South Indian items available in Railway Canteen in Parliament House Complex and recruitment of cooks specialized in cooking South Indian dishes on regular basis.• To review the catering arrangements in Parliament House Complex in the wake of temporary shifting of cooking of Parliament House Canteen.• To review the functioning of Tea Board, Coffee Board and Delhi Milk Scheme.• To monitor the development of washing/kitchen area at Plot No. 118, Parliament House
14 November, 2012 (60 mins) 6 Improvement in the catering facilities and hygienic conditions in various catering units in Parliament House Complex.
15 April, 2013 (60 mins) 8 • Subsidy Claim from Northern Railway for year 2011-12.• Cadre Review and change in the nomenclature of Khalasies.

 

What is the amount of Subsidy?

Since the rates are far less than even the cost of raw materials, the Government has to subsidize the canteens. The amount of subsidy is on the rise for the last 5 years. The Net sales are substantially lower the total cost and account for hardly 20% of the total cost. The Government provides the remaining 80% subsidy for running these canteens. In 2013-14, the total cost of running these canteens is 17.71 crore rupees while the net sales were just 3.56 crore rupees. The amount of subsidy is on the rise with each passing year. In 2013-14, the government had to provide a subsidy of more than 14 crore rupees. This information came to light through a reply sent to Mr. Subhash Chandra Agrawal in response to his RTI application.

Total Cost & Net Sales of Parliament Canteens in Rs Crore - Indian Parliament Canteen Price List

PS: The canteens keep adding new items & dishes to the menu. Here is the latest addition in July, 2014 after the constitution of the 16th Lok Sabha

Indian Parliament Canteen Price List - New Food Items added in 2014

 

 

Tags:

You don't have any comment yet !


Leave a comment
TOP